12 Best Dos and Don’ts When Moving Homes
So, you’ve finally completed your home purchase and you’re about to move in. Quite undeniably though, you feel you’re not over the daunt and stress yet. Well, removals can be quite stressful still, and you’re likely to hear from others who have gone through it that it has been quite a trouble for them. But, they could have done it wrong. If you keep things organised and plan earlier on, you’d find it not as complicated and stressful.
Here are the best home removal tops to remind yourself of to eliminate to get rid of the frustration.
1. Prepare ahead of time. Because there are plenty expert option demo account of things to organise and sort, you'll be best listing down everything you need to do ahead of time to avoid missing any.
2. Make sure you have boxes and containers for everything. Leaving something very important behind when moving homes can be a nightmare just because you didn't have enough boxes.
3. Hire a home removal company. Find a moving firm that does not just help you with packing and carrying stuff over but also someone that can offer good and effective advice. Talk to them about all the important details of moving, specifically the date and time. Do not forget to confirm this a few days ahead of schedule.
4. Secure an access to the moving van. The moving van should be able to have access to where you are moving to. You need to make sure you have made all the arrangements and necessary permits for this.
5. Decide what to bring and what to leave behind. Sorting out stuff to bring and leave can take days. List down the most important ones and seek help from family and friends. You can also give some of your things to charity or organise a garage sale for those that you will not bring with you.
6. Think about your new home. You might want to draw a map of the new place to compare it with the old one. It helps you make a decision about what to bring and leave behind. Pack your stuff the way you look to unpack them when you've moved in to make it more convenient.
7. Begin packing everything. Hiring a removal company can help you with this, especially with fragile and valuable items. If you're on a tight budget, friends and family can help you with it, too. Start packing days ahead and don't do it all in one day. Organise it to avoid forgetting something and label them accordingly.
8. Notify everyone that you need to. Let your utility company, bank, employer, relatives, and friends know of the change in your address in advance. If you have children, you might want to have to make arrangements for school transfers as well.
9. Don't pack your money, jewellery, and important documents with the others. Put them in a bag that you can carry with you all the time. You'll never know when you might need them.
10. Learn about your new neighbourhood. To lessen your worries, try to find as much information about the new place, especially its safety. Check also if it's accessible to transport, schools, shops, churches, and other places you might need to go to.
11. Don't be absent on the moving day. You can't have someone be there on your behalf as you won't be able to check if everything is going as planned.
12. Inspect the old place in case you forgot something. There may be a few things you missed so it will help to have a look at the old place once more. You might also need to make sure the electricity and gas are turned off, and all the doors and windows are locked.